Re: "acceleration due to gravity"

At 12:16 AM -0500 1/26/01, Hugh Haskell wrote:
Herb Gottlieb wrote:

Kindly help me understand the difference between
F=ma and F=mg.
In the first equation "a" stands for any
acceleration regardless of the force or mass
that may be involved? In the second equation
"g" stands for the acceleration due to a
gravitational force resulting from a position
of a mass in a gravitational field?

Let me have a go at that, Herb. Basically, F=ma, is a law whereby we
can determine the dynamics of an object of mass m if we know the
(net) force F applied to it. F=mg is a rule for calculating the force
on an object of mass m due to the gravitational interaction of the
earth and the object, after correcting for the rotation of the earth,
and all the other corrections Leigh talked about in his post on the
subject.

My point has been missed entirely. I did not talk about corrections
at all. In my picture g is the quantity by which one multiplies the
mass to find what I call the weight. There are no corrections. g is
what is measured by a gravimeter, or it is the initial acceleration
of an object released from rest in any frame whatever. I do not
separate out "the gravitational interaction of the earth and the
object". All those parenthetical items I mentioned are *included*
in g, and there is no practical way to separate them; they are not
of any concern whatever to the student. They don't even have to be
mentioned when the concepts of weight and acceleration of a falling
object are introduced. It's simpler that way. *That* is my point.

Leigh