Re: On 1/4*Pi in Coulomb's law

Ludwik wrote in part:
But we do not teach physics this way in elementary courses.
For us Coulomb's law is the starting point. Students know
nothing about Gauss law at this time. Heaviside introduced
4*Pi into the Coulomb's law to make it disappear in the Gauss
law. That was his main motivation; right? But how can one
use this reasoning with somebody who does not know Gauss
law? We do not. We say "accept the 4*Pi factor because it
will benefit us in the future." That is how an element of
apparent dogmatism is introduced. It is not a scientific
topic, it is a pedagogical topic.
Ludwik Kowalski

I think it is OK to say " . . . will benefit us in the future." sometimes.
We need to be judicious when doing that; but it just makes life easier at
times as this thread illustrates. I don't think that one should be
"dogmatic" about *only* introducing ideas that have had all the precursors
laid out carefully before hand. Taken to its extreme you than have what
amounts to an overly pedantic "axiomatic" course.

Joel