Re: Global Energy etc.

In California, we have a number of wind farms. There are undesired
side-effects - visual pollution. The windy valleys are some of the most
beautiful areas - the wind generators are large and ugly, scarring the
hills. There would be much opposition to the siting of millions of them.
Plus I think they can be noisy.

Re: Nuclear energy. The nuclear industry made a number of serious errors.
They did not standardize on a single modular design; instead they custom
made every facility. This lead to large cost overruns. Second, they did
not an accident rate of 0% that they needed - Three Mile Island and
Chernobyl will take a long time for the public to forget. Nevertheless,
work is continuing (slowly) on the development of inherently safe (like the
General Atomics TRIGA reactor) and modular nuclear energy - such as the
modular high temperature gas-cooled reactor. At General Atomics, we are
also involved in the large DOE funded fusion program.

Is not the harnessing of the wind in many ways akin to the harnessing of
flowing water, as in hydroelectric power plants? I think in both cases
there may be undesired side-effects.

Dr. Lawrence D. Woolf; Phone: (858)-455-4475; www.sci-ed-ga.org
General Atomics; 3550 General Atomics Court; San Diego CA 92121-1194