Another case of "a little knowledge...."

One of my students reported that one of the cabinet designees (she thought
Energy) has blamed the Internet for a 10% increase in energy use. She
claims that's what was said--no qualifiers.

I _might_ possibly believe a 10% increase in electrical usage IN California
(if you take into account the number of servers and ISPs that operate out of
the state and maybe include some of the other support industries). There is
no way the number can be accurate otherwise. Again I'm sure the first
problem here is the continuing problem with the public and the media of
equating energy use with electrical energy use (which is only 15% of the
U.S. total). Did anyone else here this to know what was actually said?

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College