Re: Principia

At 07:27 PM 1/17/01 +0100, William J. Larson wrote:
Is principia pronounced "prinKipia" or" prinSipia"?

At 02:04 PM 1/17/01 -0500, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
It depends on the school of Latin pronunciation you wish to use - we have
no recordings of ancient Roman speech.

I would use the Italian pronunciation "prin- CHI- pi-a" (The CHI is as in
chicken.)

I vote with Bob. That also happens to be the "church latin" pronunciation
that Sir Isaac presumably used. Reference:
http://members.aol.com/MORRISTH/unavoce3/Latinpro.html
This seems to be the predominant pronunciation among scientists I've met.

But any of the foregoing three options are plausible. For some perspective:
http://www.middlebury.edu/~harris/LatinBackground/Pronunciation.html