Re: Group velocites greater than the speed of light

"The Special Theory of Relativity makes it clear that there are no
circumstances under which a signal can propagate at a speed greater than
c. Yet we have already seen that under certain circumstances (section
3.5.1) the phase velocity can exceed c. The contradiction is only an
apparent one, arising from the fact that although a monochromatic wave can
indeed have a speed in excess of c, it cannot convey information. In
contrast, a signal in the form of any modulated wave will propagate at the
group velocity, which is always less than c in normally dispersive media."

I can provide some nice references for this question:

1. Wave Propagation and Group Velocity by Leon Brillouin, Academic Press,
1960, chapter 2: "About the Propagation of Light in Dispersive Media."

He discusses the various speeds of light: phase velocity, group velocity,
energy propagation velocity, signal propagation velocity.

2. Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles by Craig Bohren
and Donald Hoffman, Wiley, 1983, p. 235-239.

( I am a big fan of anything written by Craig Bohren)

Dr. Lawrence D. Woolf; Phone: (858)-455-4475; www.sci-ed-ga.org
General Atomics; 3550 General Atomics Court; San Diego CA 92121-1194