Group velocites greater than the speed of light

In "Optics" by E. Hecht 3rd edition on page 299, it is written the
following:

"The Special Theory of Relativity makes it clear that there are no
circumstances under which a signal can propagate at a speed greater than
c. Yet we have already seen that under certain circumstances (section
3.5.1) the phase velocity can exceed c. The contradiction is only an
apparent one, arising from the fact that although a monochromatic wave can
indeed have a speed in excess of c, it cannot convey information. In
contrast, a signal in the form of any modulated wave will propagate at the
group velocity, which is always less than c in normally dispersive media."

I don't understand what he means by "The contradiction is only an apparent
one, arising from the fact that although a monochromatic wave can indeed
have a speed in excess of c, it cannot convey information".

I would be very happy to get an explanation.