An extended harangue on SI prefixes (was re dental xrays)

At 00:12 12/29/00 -0500, Ludwik wrote:
/snip/
1 RAD = 100 ergs/gram 1 GRAY = 1 J/kg = 100 rads
[Ludwik assertion one]
/snip/

3600 mSv is 360 mrem
(??????)

/snip/ I am assuming the yearly
dose is 200 mrem. Brian quoted (see below) the average yearly
dose of 3600 mSv (360 mrad). This probably accounts for medical
treatments. Right? Otherwise 360 is about two times larger than what
is usually printed for the so-called "natural background."

/snip/

[Brian]
I did not! 3600mSv = 360 rem. Cockroaches maybe, humans no.
I expect Ludwik had 3600 uSv in mind.

[Ludwik]
NO, NO, NO --> 3600 mSv = 360 mrem (not 360 rem). [Ludwik assertion two]

Let me spell it out in words....it is possible that Ludwik is not (1)
registering 'mSv' as 'millisievert'. (2)

I assert that.... (3)

It cannot be that (4)
three thousand six hundred millisievert (5)
equals three hundred sixty millirem [Ludwik assertion two] (6)
AND (7)
one sievert equals 100 rem (from Ludwik assertion one] (8)

Ludwik assertion one was (9)
one gray = 100 rad (10)
and (11)
one gray = one sievert (12)
and (13)
100 rad = 100 rem (14)
so (15)
1 sievert = 100 rem (16)

I have numbered the 16 lines above consecutively.
If Ludwik will tell where his understanding departs from mine
by referring to a line number - it will probably not be necessary
for him to use all caps.

This is the original text that appeared to wrap Ludwik round the axle:

The Health Physics Society // Submitted by Ron Sumner
//
When a pregnant patient undergoes a complete
dental x-ray examination, the radiation dose to the embryo is
about 1 microgray. Compare this to the average dose from
naturally occurring environmental sources of about 3000
microgray per year.

I write 1 microgray as 1 uGy
I write 1 milligray as 1 mGy
I write 3000 uGy as 3 mGy
Using Ludwik's assumptions,
I write 3000 uGy = 3 mGy = 300 mrem = 0.3 rem

Have at it! :-)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!