Candle Gel

I would certainly like to enter the seasonal exchange of holiday greetings
with members of the list. Having received an unusual candle as a holiday
present, I wonder if there might be a lurker who could shed more light on it.

In a glass bowl, an aquatic scene composed mostly of real shells and other
remains over a layer of sand is held in place by an optically clear
combustible gel with a wick running down through it. There are no bubbles
in the gel and the view, when the wick is burning, brings a sense of awe to
the viewers who have seen it. The gel is consumed over time. My question
is: What is the receipe for the gel? It seems to be clear, colorless,
odorless before, during, and after burning.

Local vendors do not know or will not say what is in it, nor will they say
who actually makes the candle. It seem reasonable to me that one should be
able to refill and reuse it. As a luminous object in certain optics labs
and demonstrations, it might have a bright future.

Tom Ford