Re: Squeeky Snow

Joel Rauber wrote:

Amazing, I was just about to post a similar item, it being -10 here in SD.

If you mean -10 F, then you are in the -20's C where the people I've
asked think the effect starts.

I've assumed that it is some sort of a phase change in the snow, as it seems
to be quite pronounced; but I wouldn't stake much on that idea. My

This was the sort of thing I was wondering about when my friend talked
about it as if it was a distinct effect at around -50 F. Since the
fellow has lived over 50 years in Manitoba (and has thereby experienced
down to -40 nearly every winter) it may be that he was talking about
something distinct from regular squeeking snow. Or, it may just be the
colder the temperature the louder the squeek so that while most of us
don't really notice it, by -50 F it is hard to miss.

impression is that the temperature is warmer than Doug quotes. I'd suggest
that just about any negative temperature (Fahrenheit); and maybe even in the
early single digits can one notice a squeaky snow effect.

A couple more observations:

I think the squeeky boot can be eliminated from the possibilities.
First, the snow still squeeks when you're just wearing socks, plus there
is no squeeking when you slide. In fact, the greatest squeek is when
you walk on your heels.

The sound also depends on the type of snow, not just the temperature.
Fluffy snow gives no sound, lightly packed gives a crunching sound and
more heavily packed (stepped or driven on a bit) gives the squeeking
sound.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/about_dc.html