Re: Capilary tubes.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Most textbooks provide examples showing how to calculate
the height to which water will rise in a tube of radius r. For
example, 0.29 m when r=50 microns, as shown on page
285 of Serway and Faughn (5th edition of College Physics).

To change 0.29 to 29 meters (the top of a tree) one must
assume that r=0.5 microns. What evidence do we have for
the existence long tubes of such radii? My guess is that the
"tubes" are not so thin and that they work in tandem, one
after another. Is this correct?

They may work in tandem, but I can't see that it would be possible with
larger radii hollow tubes. I would have thought the tubes in tree were
filled with spongy material so that the radius wasn't the critical
factor.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/about_dc.html