Something to crow about

Well, this is something to crow about, and since it doesn't involve
me directly, I can crow for all its worth. Check out the URL below,
about three NCSSM students (two of whom were my students last year,
although I had nothing to do with their project) who just won the
Westinghouse/Siemens science competition (and a total of $103,000)
for a work of original astrophysics directed by my and Chuck
Britton's colleague Johathan Keohane.

<http://www.newsobserver.com/tuesday/front/Story/256808p-241925c.html>

The NASA press release on the event is at

<http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/00_releases/press_121100.html>
<http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/cycle1/1083/index.html>
<http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/cycle1/1083/1083_hand.html>

The first is the press release itself and the other two concern the
picture of the area of the sky they investigated.

The work has also led to a paper just submitted for publication to
the Astrophysical Journal. Unfortunately, the URL does not include
two great pictures of the three students and a large sidebar about
the Chandra satellite that they used for their work.

For those of you on this list who are associated with universities,
call out your recruiters--these kids are something else.

Cheers,

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell