Re: Mass/Energy concepts and terminology

At 21:50 10 12 2000 , John wrote:
In this thread there have been a number of odd statements. I can't figure
out which are facetious and which are merely befuddled.

In current professional usage, "mass" means "rest mass". Indeed, saying
"rest mass" is a pleonasm, so I'll stop saying it. The "m" that appears in
equations like E = m c^2 is this mass.

Well, John, I seem to have ben declared non-professional as I don't use
these meanings in my work. Nor do my colleagues.

Let me ask the list a question: Does an iceberg and, if melted, the water
from this iceberg weigh the same? Would one say that both "substances"
have the same mass?

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen