Re: wind instrument +- filtering of broadband noise

This sounds similar to the Rijke tube -- you'll get better results, if you put
in the tube a steel screen near the end placed over the burner. It'll get red
hot and will continue to power the tube after burner shut off. The reverse is a
refrigerator -- useful in military vehicles. Also NPS has a model that works by
cooling.

Check archives, at least two threads on this subject.

bc

P.s. Since it'll operate with out the coupling to a burner, it's operation
puzzles me.

Tom McDonald wrote:

Thanks to all who have contributed to this topic. It has been very
interesting. If anyone has the patience to reinforce my improving
understanding, I would greatly appreciate it.

I do the probably common demonstration in which a large lighted laboratory
gas burner, e.g. Fisher burner, is placed on the floor and a long cardboard
carpet roll tube is lowered over it until a very loud low pitched sound is
produced. Is it true that even though this clearly IS a hissing source,
there is more going on than "a resonant filter applied to a broadband noise
source" (from J.D., I believe)? For example, I picture the air in the
tube and the gas in the burner flame coupling so that they both vibrate at
the resonant frequency of the tube. Is this a reasonable model? Is this
"mode locking"? How do I explain the large increase in sound intensity to
my students?

Thanks for any help here.

Tom McDonald
Harbor Springs High School