Re: unsympathetic resonances, complex feedback, etc.

At 10:07 PM 12/7/00 -0500, Chuck Britton wrote:

> The 'distinction' that I am referring to is the position held
>by some that 'resonance' requires 'sympathetic driving' of the
>system.

That would be a weird distinction. Sympathetic driving usually means
transferring energy from one high-Q resonator to another. But presumably
each of the resonators could exist separately, and could exhibit resonance.

In particular a single LC resonator will resonate quite nicely if you whack
it with a delta function; no sympathetic anything is required.

John, you are then AGREEING that Galloping Gerty is an
example of resonance? (yes/no)

britton@ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936