Re: Sodaplay: Tacoma Narrows resonator

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Leigh Palmer wrote:

Sounds suspiciously like this is fostering a well known misconception.

You're right!

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge was not driven by an oscillatory wind; it
was an aeolian oscillation driven by a steady wind. I will guess that
the simulator demonstrates a resonance phenomenon. As I've pointed out
more than once, the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse is not an instance
of a resonance phenomenon.

Hmmm. "Resonance" seems to have two meanings: sympathetic vibrations,
versus vibration mode of a system. The bridge was a resonance phenomenon
in that it break into oscillation at a resonant frequency. However, since
the wind wasn't pulsing, it wasn't a sympathetic vibrations phenomenon.

I suppose the sodaplay simulation better illustrates the legendary
marching soldiers problem.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L