Re: What to "cover"

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Edmiston" <edmiston@BLUFFTON.EDU>

There has been some criticism of this program because some do not like the
idea of departmentalization and teacher specialization clear down to grade
4. But if we want to assure that math and science in grades 4-9 are being
taught by qualified people, this seems the proper way to go. Since the
teachers choose/complete two out of four areas for specialization, the
specialization is both reasonably broad yet reasonably focused.

I too would consider this criticism to be invalid. In fact, I would like
to see grades 1-3 shared by two teachers--one for language arts, and the
other for math/science. We are graduating far too many elementary-ed
teachers who are math/science phobic. We need more teachers so I can't see
that we can afford to 'wash-out' these otherwise enthusiastic future
teachers, but we should also not allow them to teach areas where their
attitudes and phobias might adversely effect the children.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/
PC and MAC software
NEW! OPTICS-2 package for the Animated Chalkboard
CD-ROMs now available