Re: transformers

The usual method is for the 12 V. to power an oscillator that drives a step up
xformer, the output of which is rectified and regulated (if necessary), as ME
wrote.

bc

Larry Smith wrote:

Additionally, today we also have relatively inexpensive ways to convert DC
of one voltage to DC of another voltage, and some of these methods do not
involve oscillation-transformation-rectification like the old ones always
used.

How is this done, in addition to below? (voltage up.)

I'm curious too. For our astronomy class we run two Meade telescopes which
call for 18 VDC from the car battery. There is a (literally) black box
which has one end labeled 18 V and the other end 12 V. I guess I should
open it up. Unless someone here tells me first how it works.

Larry