Re: Transformers

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese wrote:

One can add some history by telling the story about Westinghouse and Tesla and
his rotating magnetic fields.

I recently saw a patent for a rotating-field transformer. It was a torus,
but with an extra coil wrapped around the perimeter and driven with a
90deg phase current. The goal was to save energy by keeping the b-field
in the core intense, so that losses to Barkhausen noise would be reduced.
The primary and secondary would still see an AC field as the field
direction rotated. I don't think this would reduce the Barkhausen noise
by much. Whether the H-field vibrates or rotates, it would induce growth
and shrinkage of magnetic domains in the metal, and that causes heating.

Question: Is the synchronous motor (clock) a shaded pole motor?

I've seen big ones with "starter" coils. They behave as conventional
induction motors until they get near the synchronous speed. Since they
have a magnetically hard steel rotor, the rotor becomes permanently
magnetized and "locks on" to the AC b-field, at least they do if the
mechanical load is not too enormous. Conventional non-synchronous
induction motors have magnetically soft rotors which constantly slip in
phase relative to the drive fields even when loaded normally. Since even
a soft iron core can become a weak PM, I would expect that any induction
motor would become synchronous motor if the mechanical load on the rotor
was very small.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L