Re: Galileo

I almost bought G's Daughter after reading a portion of the chapter (in the Santa
Cruz inde. book store a few days ago) after his house arrest., but remembered a
not favorable review (possibly the NY'er). That chapter told how he was a long
term house guest in a high official's home near his daughter's nunnery. and I
think the cathedral (Il Duomo in Florence???).

It is a very good read. What I want is an annotated version that will point out
supposition from contemporary evidence -- has not the current Pope (aficionado of
astronomy) opened up the "books?"

bc

P.s. I distinctly remember reading that his daughter visited him "in his time of
need" at this person's home. Also I'd heard that Barberini was a childhood
friend.

Two memorisms in one post?

Jim Green wrote:

Someone said that--

Contrary to popular misconception, the Church was actually relatively open to
Galileo's ideas, and Cardinal Baronius decided to help Galileo help
himself. But
Galileo was not particularly astute and almost tried to tick off everyone
in sight.

Is this true? The RCChurch and Galileo were on good terms?????

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen