Re: Variac Safety

Connecting a lamp via an extension cord that has an unpolarized plug runs
the risk of having the more-accessible node be hot. Connecting a lamp via
a variac with a similar unpolarized plug runs the same risk.

Like Ludwik, I also use a Variac with tungsten lamps. My tungsten
lamps are connected to banana jacks, as I expect are those used by
other teachers in this group. My warning about the dangers of the
Variac are meant sincerely, despite John Denker's minimization of
them. *I* never get hurt by using a Variac, but I'm very careful
when I do so. (I also drink liquid nitrogen and spew a gorgeous
fountain, but I won't even try to explain how I do it; I'll just
say to all who ask "Don't do this yourself!" This demonstration is
done only for dramatic effect. It has no physical lesson to teach
that is worth the risk of doing it.)

Leigh