Re: EM Radiation Without a Source

Wouldn't the big bang count as a source itself?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Schweber [mailto:edschweb@IX.NETCOM.COM]
Sent: 30 November 2000 09:04
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: EM Radiation Without a Source

Hi all:

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who is an industrial
physicist and neither of us were current enough on our theory to answer the
following:

Do Maxwell's equations preclude the existence of electromagnetic
radiation that at some time in the past has not originated from an
accelerating charge (besides any vacuum fluctuations)? Could EM have been
created at the big bang without having first been "radiated" from a source.
Our guess was that this should have been possible.

Thanks's for any input.

Ed Schweber
Solomon Schechter Day School
West Orange, NJ