Re: dimensionless units

I recall that Tony French commented on the radian either in a Physics Teacher
note or a talk at an AAPT meeting a few years ago. If I remember correctly,
he pointed out that a radian is the ratio of the an arc length divided by the
radius, where the arc length equals the radius. In SI units, the radian is
(1 m)/(1 m) = 1. Thus, the radian unit is merely a marker for 1. It follows
that in the equation v = rw, with w in rad/s, the rad unit can be replaced by
1 with no cause for confusion.

Gene

* Eugene P. Mosca *
* 301 Constitution Boulevard *