Re: The "typical" high school physics teacher

Yes - we wouldn't want to be too hard.
If a walkway collapses, we should just say - we
didn't want to be too hard on that civil engineering student.

Last year we had a good physics-teacher graduate whose home was not
too far from this school. Therefore she thought this would be a good
school for her to teach at. She went to the superintendent and asked
if she could be considered for the physics teacher position. The
superintendent said there was no opening. She said she knew the
current teacher had no teaching credentials at all, let alone physics.
He said that with the previous physics teacher (who was a real
physics teacher) he got lots of complaints the teacher was too hard.
The current "physics teacher" is popular, students love him, and the
superintendent has had no complaints from students nor parents in the
several years this "teacher" has been there. Therefore he is keeping
the current "teacher."

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur