Re: help re Coronal Mass Ejections and Coronal Flares

Here is something new to me. Any comments?

I used a very efficient generator to drive the vibrator in
a usual "standing wave" experiment today. The Pasco
vibrator (prong oscillating up and down) was on my
left side and the pulley, about 2 m away, was on my
right side. I see a set of "stationary" loops, as usual.

1) The prong amplitude is not small in comparison
with the maximum amplitudes (at antinodes) and the
first loop on my left side is less than complete; the
length changes with the amplitude of the prong.
For example, the antinode amplitude is 5 cm while
the prong amplitude is 1 cm. The linear density
of the string is 0.60 g/m, the hanging mass is 0.15 kg,
the frequencies are close to 100 Hz, depending on
the number of loops desired.

2) String oscillations are not confined to the vertical
plane, as in the textbook model. I can observe loops
from the side and I can observe them from above.
My string is black but it has white spots. White spots
near places where amplitudes are large move along
circles. The antinodes seen from above are about as
wide as when seen from a side. This confirms circular
trajectories.

3) Nodes seen from above are practically at rest
but "nodes" seen from the side are not at rest, even
when loops are stationary. The horizontal "sizes of
nodes" are about the same as the amplitude of the
prong. In other words points near the node do not
move along circles.
Ludwik Kowalski