Re: Bernoulli's relationship

At 08:24 PM 11/8/00 -0500, I posted the following flow pattern as a step
toward addressing deeper issues raised by Robert A Cohen's question about
Bernoulli's relationship:

/
/-----_____
/ -----_____
/ -----
-----_____ /
-----_____/ Direction of flow ==>
/
/
/
/
Figure 1

This is the simplest flow-pattern with which one can address the question
that was asked.

My assertion that you "will have" this solution was obviously
overbroad. In a real channel with a real propeller, an infinitude of
more-complex flow patterns is possible. As I explained at 09:37 PM 11/8/00
-0500, figure 1 is the flow pattern that you get if you idealize the
propeller as a pump. In particular, imagine implementing the pump as a
bucket-wheel that just raises the water and gently dumps it into the
channel on the downstream side.

If OTOH you imagine a pump plus a _nozzle_, things can get quite
interesting. For example, at 06:10 AM 11/9/00 -0600, brian whatcott
alluded to:
possibility of the downstream hydraulic jump

A rough diagram of such a solution is:

/
/ _/\_
/ __-- ---____
/ __-- -----
-----_____ / __--
-----_____/ __--
/__-- Direction of flow ==>
/
/
/
Figure 2

At 05:34 PM 11/8/00 -0800, Leigh Palmer wrote that figure 1 was "contrary"
to his results and suggested that I must have "forgotten about continuity".

Continuing at 02:52 PM 11/11/00 -0800, Leigh Palmer was even more explicit
and said:
> simply seeing that the answer was unphysical was sufficient.
I didn't have to check to find the origin of the final error.
I'm very sorry that I haven't the macho pilot's background you
have, John. I don't think that disqualifies me or my argument. My
experience with cleaning rain gutters with a running hose and my
application of physical reasoning are probably more valuable
qualifications, anyway.

First of all: I hope phys-l participants do not care about my background
or anybody else's background. If a ten-year-old with no qualifications
whatsoever makes a physically-correct argument, it is a physically-correct
argument. Qualifications don't matter.

This makes physics very different from many other aspects of life. Life is
complicated, and in non-physics fields (e.g. politics or religion) there
are many assertions that cannot be checked in any scientific way, and must
be checked in non-scientific ways, such as checking the credentials of the
person making the assertion.

I hope we can conduct phys-l discussions based on physics, and avoid
religious arguments and ad-hominem arguments.

Secondly, I am not a macho pilot. A big part of my job as a flight
instructor is to train people _not_ to act macho. Machismo is incompatible
with safety.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=machismo

Thirdly, experience with solutions unlike figure 1 does not mean that
figure 1 is unphysical. As I said before, many solutions are possible.

Until somebody makes a _scientific_ argument to the contrary, I will
continue to believe that figure 1 is a perfectly reasonable element of the
solution set.

Leigh went on to write:
> This isn't a pump. There is no outlet pipe here, something that
is probably necessary to the case you cite here. Surely the outlet
pressure must be higher if the velocity of flow is lower.

That's almost diametrically wrong. An outlet pipe, serving as a nozzle,
leads to the solution shown in figure 2 rather than figure 1. I strongly
suspect that most people use a nozzle for cleaning gutters.

The reason I chose figure 1 as a representative solution was because the
original puzzle specified an open channel. Therefore nozzles, while
certainly possible, would depart from the spirit of the specification.

I know that my model for the propeller does not admit of this possibility,
but do you really believe that a propeller in an open channel will
diminish the velocity of flow in the channel?

Maybe, maybe not, depending on unspecified details of how the "propeller"
is constructed. In the limit of the idealized bucket-wheel pump, there
absolutely will be lower velocity downstream.

I also think that the original question had to do with the relationship of
height, velocity, and pressure in the channel, and that the details of the
pump are irrelevant.