Re: photoelectric effect (clarifications)

Hi Jack (and others),

2. Experiment shows that the maximum electron energy is
determined by the frequency, not the intensity, of the light.

The teacher discusses with the class some of the unsuccesful
calculations that were attempted in stage 2.

My question -for Savinainen only- is, is this roughly the
framework that led to your question? If so, I can comment on your
question.

that was exactly my motivation for the question. My IB students could be asked to explain the classical predictions of the photoelectric effect. I didn't like the contradiction which I found regarding the classical predictions for the intensity and the max KE of the ejected electrons. I'm sorry if my question didn't make sense. However, it would be nice to teach a "correct" false prediction made by the 19th century physicists :-). Perhaps this is a matter of historical physics.

Regards,

Antti Savinainen
Finland