Re: Color names, color discrimination

Regarding:
I have an ongoing argument with my wife about the color blue. She wants to
call cyan blue.

&

I guess it's like a foreign language. In Paris, I don't use German
color-names. In a clothing store, I don't use print-shop color names.

I suppose a latter-day Prof. Henry Higgins could tell what culture you come
from by listening to the color-names you use.

Apparently, it *is* a foriegn language. I thought I would mention that
according to the etymology listed in my dictionary for the entry on
"cyan", it seems that the word comes from the Greek "kyanos"
(kappa|upsilon|nu|omicron|sigma) whose meaning is/was 'dark blue'.
Apparently, over the millenia, maybe dark blue has evolved into a sort of
green-tinged blue? It seems that properly defining this color is Greek
to me.

David Bowman
David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu