Re: Color constancy

At 5:41 PM -0500 11/1/00, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
Larry Smith wrote:

But you haven't made a case for it varying from person to person
(assuming they have the same chemicals in their retina).

Why would you perceive a different color than I do under identical
circumstances?

Suppose the chemistry in your retina is dramatically different
from the chemistry in my retina, when we are looking at grass.
This would not prevent us from using the same word, green,
while referring to sensations.

This is certainly true, but 1) is there any evidence that anybody (other
than color-blind people) has different retinal chemistry than anybody
else?, and 2) I explicitly assumed that most people have the same
chemistry; given that assumption why would the perception be different for
different people?

Larry