QM Gordon Conference, algebra-based physics, news

Hi PHYS-Ler's,

I have not been on the list for some time now and I may be using the
delete key a lot for a while, but I would like feedback from this group
on two issues:

1) I am interested in ideas for health science applications for a Workshop Physics
style algebra-based introductory physics course. I am not (right now)
interested in a debate over whether or not this should be part of the
course, or in references to standard texts, like Giancolli, Urone, that have
health science applications, but in ideas for actual things that could be
done in a hand's-on, laboratory-based setting.

2) I am chairing a Physics Research and Education Gordon Conference on
Quantum Mechanics to be held in Summer 2002. I don't know if anyone has
already advertised it on this list. The idea of the Conference is to bring
together researchers, Physics Education researchers, and teachers of
Quantum Mechanics on topics that are taught at the junior/senior
undergraduate level. I am seeking recommendations for speakers from each
of these three groups, as well as inviting you to participate in the
conference. I am particularly interested in people who do experiments or
people who could speak on experiments that could be done in an undergraduate
lab that distinguish Quantum Mechanics from other models of the world
(universe).

Just some additional news... Since I was last on the list (over a year ago),
I moved from Michigan to Texas and can now be reached at the address
below, I am using my middle name as well as my first name now (Beth Ann),
and I have a 9-week old son asleep on my lap.

Beth Ann

Beth Ann Thacker
Physics Department
Box 41051
Lubbock, TX 79409

806-742-2996
FAX 806-742-1182

batcam@spudhammer.phys.ttu.edu

--
batcam@spudhammer.phys.ttu.edu

JWebMail WebMail/Java v0.7.3 WWW <-> Mail Gateway