Re: radioactivity

Doug Craigen wrote:

The explanation implicitely recognizes a neutron:proton ratio in the
nucleus without providing any reason why. It doesn't tell a student why
for example you can not have 120 protons with 1000 neutrons. Surely this
would provide enough spacing between the protons and enough strong force
that it should be stable? For that matter why can't we have nuclei of
one proton with ten neutrons, or of ten neutrons with no protons at
all? I don't see that one can reasonably claim to have answered why
there is a maximum nucleus size without addressing this.

I wholeheartedly agree. Any help?

--
Cliff Parker

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think. --
Niels Bohr