Re: Cause and Effect

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Leigh Palmer wrote:

>This is a misconception, after all. It is not correct. However, a large
>number of our students think this way. At least it seems to me (does the
>physics education research have anything to say on this?).
>
>I am just wondering if we may be inadvertently reinforcing this
>misconception. Maybe I should use a different header?

I understand the problem; I just see no reason one should not simply
tell students that a cause need not precede an effect, but it *may*
do so. An effect cannot precede a cause.

I'm glad you agree with me that instructors need to explicitly mention
this when using the word "cause". Granted, you may have, Leigh, but
before this thread, I never thought to do so (assuming it was a given that
students would properly interpret the equationa and know that force
doesn't precede the acceleration). Was I alone? How many of us actually
told students that a cause need not precede an effect?

That is certainly made explicit the first time relativity is taught,
at least by me. I can't recall ever noticing a misconception of the
sort you suggest among my first year students. They seem to be able
to cope with F = ma satisfactorily. The only problem I encounter is
that many of them who know how to do the problems don't seem to
believe that F = ma works in the real world. That is a much deeper
problem.

Leigh