Re: Wave Intensity vs Energy

Concerning energy in, amplitude of, earthquakes, I have stumbled on what
seems to be a very helpful and informative page:
<http://www.seismo.unr.edu/ftp/pub/louie/class/100/magnitude.html>.
It describes in some detail how the magnitude of an earthquake is
measured. Two seminal equations:
M = log(A[mm])+3log(8*t[s])-2.92
log(E[ergs]) = 11.8 +1.5*M
where: M = Richter magnitude
A = amplitude of wiggle on particular kind of seismometer
t = time delay between arrival of P and S (longitudinal and
transverse) waves (basically, a measure of the distance
from epicenter d)
E = Energy *radiated* by earthquake in waves

John Denker wrote:
We seem to be comparing applies and oranges here. Think about the
dimensional analysis. The subject line mentions intensity and energy; one
is simply related to amplitude while the other is not.

The Richter scale cannot measure both amplitude and energy; a
low-amplitude wave can carry arbitrarily much energy if it continues long
enough. There cannot be any simple relationship between magnitude and
duration, because the waves spread out with distance.

While what John says here seems to me be unavoidably true, nevertheless
seismologists do seem to make the energy-to-magnitude connection. I can
only guess that earthquakes have characteristic durations.

No, I don't think there's any significant nonlinearity.

Using the equations above, I get...
A propto d^3 (for constant E and M)
E propto A^1.5 (at a constant distance from epicenter)
E propto d^4.5 (for a constant observed A)
None of these make sense to me on the surface. The first two may be
complicated by the definition of amplitude. But I would have expected
(E propto d^2 for constant A) based simply on conservation of energy.
There must be some dispersion or absorption or other issues involved.

--
Dr. James McLean phone: (716) 245-5897
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy FAX: (716) 245-5288