Re: Cause and Effect

Like John, I do not believe the laws or measurements tell us that forces
cause accelerations. Physics doesn't seem to care if forces cause
accelerations or visa-versa.

However, I still use the word "cause" because it helps me interpret the
world.

For example, if I am inside a box, I have no real way of distinguishing
between:

(a) accelerations relative to my reference frame caused by real forces
and
(b) apparent forces caused by accelerations relative to my reference frame

However, I'll still choose one or the other depending on whether it helps
me interpret the measurements I make.