Re: CAUSATION IN PHYSICS

At 09:37 AM 10/16/00 -0500, Rick Tarara wrote:
It dawned on me this morning that one point of confusion here may well be
the 'World View' of the participants. ...
For those with a firm Newtonian view, it is evident that forces
cause accelerations and not the other way around. ...
With a more 'modern' world view, it is perfectly natural to put
ourselves INSIDE the accelerated frame.....

That's an imaginative hypothesis, but it does not describe (let alone
resolve) any of the confusion I've been seeing.

In particular, consider the statements:
1a) you can't have F without ma, and
1b) you can't have ma without F.
2) The relationship between F and ma is symmetric; it is
properly called "equality" not "causation".
3) If you want to stretch the definition of causation
to the point where F "causes" ma, then by this stretched
definition ma "causes" F also.

Remarks:
*) Those statements hold in Newtonian reference frames, such as the
ordinary terrestrial classroom frame.
*) They also hold in free-falling reference frames.
*) Those statements refer to the force ON an object and the acceleration OF
the same object -- not to the acceleration of the reference frame.