Re: HTML Instructions (Re: One last Test of tags)

I hope that Rick, or somebody else (who understands
the results of little tests being conducted) will at the
end produce a little summary of what each of us has
to to know in order to send and to receive messages
controlled by tags. Not everything connected with
the topic, only the essential minimum. But a complete
description, please, not just a hint.

I have asked the NAU powers-that-be (PTB) to create a new list called
PHYS-TEST-L@lists.nau.edu for HTML/equation exchange afficianatos
to experiment with. I'd like you-all to hold off further experiments
on PHYS-L and move testing and discussion of that technology to the
new list. When some overall consensus on how to use this bleeding edge
technology has been reached and a description suitable for list members
on how to use it has been written, we can return discussion of this issue
to the PHYS-L list proper.

I will monitor PHYS-TEST-L@lists.nau.edu, and will confirm it has been
established shortly to PHYS-L. Stay tuned.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner

I hope that Rick, or somebody else (who understands
the results of little tests being conducted) will at the
end produce a little summary of what each of us has
to to know in order to send and to receive messages
controlled by tags. Not everything connected with
the topic, only the essential minimum. But a complete
description, please, not just a hint.

If you have a mail program no more than a few years old, but the HTML
tests have been appearing mangled in your box, you can receive HTML mail
through PHYS-L, but need to change how the server handles your mail
headers.

Go to
http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=phys-l&D=0&F=&H=0&O=T&S=&T=1
and login (you may need to set up a login if you haven't used this
before). From there go down to Mail Header Style and select "Normal
LISTSERV-style header"

Perhaps two or more such tutorials should be posted
one for Netscape Messenger, one for the mailer
which comes with Internet Explorer, one for Eudora,
etc. Perhaps such tutorials already exist and are
accessible on the web. Please poste their URL if you
know them. I will post the URL for a very good
HTML tutorial (if it is still there) this weekend.

In all these cases writing HTML mail can be pretty much the same as
using a word processor (provided you are using the HTML editor for your
mail). Highlight the text you wish to format and choose
superscript/subscript etc from the menu. What can be frustrating is
controlling who you send text mail to and who you send HTML mail to.
Also, there are all the cautions that have been given so far.

If we are going to start using HTML mail here I suggest restricting it
to superscripting, subscripting and bolding in equations for the time
being. This will minimize the appearance of HTML for those not set up
to read it for whatever reason (and there are many valid reasons), and
should make reading possible even when it is the HTML code that appears
(eg., I think most here could guess that x<sup>2</sup> means x
squared). As soon as we try to control fonts etc things can get messy
and we'll get bogged down in formatting arguments.

In Netscape, go to Edit - Preferences - Mail & Newsgroups - Formatting
and select "Use the HTML Editor to compose Messages". Various options
for handling users not listed as being able to receive HTML mail are
given below this.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/about_dc.html