Re: PHYS_L COURTESY

At 5:08 PM -0700 10/8/00, Rick Tarara wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Muir" <muirrob@UNCG.EDU>

If the purpose of the list is to communicate (all interpretations of the
term) with others who have a strong interest in physics, physics education,
etc., then why make it difficult for those who might not have the latest
software and gee-whiz-bang technology.

The gee-whiz-bang technology we're talking about is already 5 years old! Of
all people, physicists are arguing that the old and obsolete is acceptable?
I know I won't win this argument very soon, but at some point
newsgroup/listserve protocol will change.

Anyone who thinks newer to be synonymous with better has the Gates
disease. Anybody else here still using Word 5.1 for the Mac instead
of later versions (e.g. Word 98)? Many Macpersons have an older
form of the disease, compulsive updating syndrome. There are even
Mac applications that have no other purpose than to go out to the
internet to find out if a later version of every application on
the machine exists! Does that happen to the Windows crowd as well?
It is pretty silly, in my opinion, to upgrade for no good reason.

I have managed to get along without emoticons. I believe their use
is waning (for which I am grateful). html email may also pass from
use. I know that straight ASCII is a limited medium of expression.
I particularly miss the ability to write mathematical expressions
in this group, but when they are mecessary .pdf seems to suffice.
In any event, I find html and its later versions to be ugly. I'll
wait for something better before I "upgrade".

Leigh