Request for help from Brazillian colleague

The following note is a request for help. I know that departments in the
US have been doing some reorganizing. If anyone from some of those
departments can correspond directly with Jose, it would be of great help to
him and his department. (My apologies for cross listing.) Dewey

I am a Physics Professor at the Physics Department of the Federal
University at
Juiz de Fora (UFJF), Brazil. Up to now, the physics curriculum at UFJF, as
well
as the syllabus of all our courses, were determined by the Federal Government,
through the Ministry of Education. With the passing of a new law
regulating the
universities in Brazil, we now have complete freedom to decide our curriculum
and requirements for a physics program (with the exception of minimum
number of
total classroom hours). This is pretty exciting to us, as our curriculum is
considered pretty bad by all (students and professors), and, as a consequence,
we are starting a discussion about our curriculum. However, as you might
imagine, none of our Professors at the Physics Department are experts in
Physics Education, much less in physics curriculum. For this reason, I'm
writing with the hopes that someone can give us some pointers on
this subject, in particular helping us to find literature and proposals for
curriculums, research done on this subject, stories of well implemented new
curriculums, etc. Any help will be appreciated, and will help us shape
what we >hope will be a new and modern curriculum in our university.

Thanks,

Jose Acacio de Barros <acacio@fisica.ufjf.br>

Dewey I. Dykstra, Jr. Phone: (208)426-3105
Professor of Physics Dept: (208)426-3775
Department of Physics/MCF421/418 Fax: (208)426-4330
Boise State University dykstrad@email.boisestate.edu
1910 University Drive Boise Highlanders
Boise, ID 83725-1570 novice piper: GHB, Uilleann

"As a result of modern research in physics, the ambition and hope,
still cherished by most authorities of the last century, that physical
science could offer a photographic picture and true image of reality
had to be abandoned." --M. Jammer in Concepts of Force, 1957.

"If what we regard as real depends on our theory, how can we make
reality the basis of our philosophy? ...But we cannot distinguish
what is real about the universe without a theory...it makes no sense
to ask if it corresponds to reality, because we do not know what
reality is independent of a theory."--S. Hawking in Black Holes
and Baby Universes, 1993.