Re: Concerned About Grades

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Michael Edmiston wrote:

During advising, knowledge of a student's standardized-exam score helps.
Knowledge of college grades helps, but not as much as it used to. Knowledge
of high school grades helps even less. I was under the impression we were
discussing this because we are asking if there is anything we can do to make
this situation better. If not, so be it. But let's not blow it off by
saying "life is unfair."

Before Bluffton starts ignoring HS rank entirely, may I suggest that they
instead follow a policy that states:

a. HS GPA will not be used unless the average HS GPA at the school was
between 2 and 3.

b. HS rank will not be used unless the s.d. of grades at the HS was at
least some value.

This policy would have the benefit of forcing the system back toward
something that is useful.