grades (unsubstantiated opinion)

Joel Rauber wrote:
Our most recent catalog (years 2000-2002) describes the
following grade
system. (Note: at our school there are no provisions for +- grades)

A = Exceptional 4.0 grade points
B = Superior 3.0 grade points
C = Average 2.0 grade points
D = Passing 1.0 grade points
F = Failure

Teaching at the University of Winnipeg last year I was constrained to
use the following scheme:

A+ 90-100%
A 80-89%
B+ 74-79%
B 67-73%
C+ 61-66%
C 53-60%
D 50-52%
F <50%

The thing that struck me when I saw this breakdown was that
the practice
of "C is average" must be long gone. To have a class average
of C would
mean either a very small standard deviation, or a huge number
of fails.

In my undergraduate years (early 80's at UBC) there was very simple
grading scheme:

First Class 80-100%
Second Class 66-79%
Pass 50-65%
Fail <50%

I'm not sure about the rationale behind this (or if they
still use this
scheme) but one thing it accomplished was to break the expectation of
what a particular letter means.

Interesting. This is the kind of scheme I went through in my high school
years (the numbers for the percentages being different.

My personal preference would be for an expectation of what letters mean,
rather than a defined percentage for letters. As percentages on tests (and
hence for courses) are so easily manipulated.

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu