Re: PHYS-L Digest - 2 Oct 2000 to 3 Oct 2000 (#2000-347)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:39:17 -0700
From: "Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese"
Subject: Re: The Olympics, egg drop

Am I mixed up, or is not centre of force more appropriate?

bc

"S.Goelzer" wrote:

"centre of air resistance" is also called center of pressure (CP). When
building
model rockets the CP must be after the center of mass for the rocket to fly

snip

Maybe it _should_ be center of air resistance force, but I went and pulled the report "Technical Report TR-1 Rocket Stability" by Vernon Estes in which he defines and refers to center of pressure. Is this much worse than say the term center of buoyancy?

Scott

S.Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe - Brown Northwood Academy