Re: Concerned about grades

We have this for our UNDERGRAD Physics majors at NAU as well
(no more than
1 C in the major core). By sticking to our strict standards we have
legislated grade inflation for majors in Upper Division
courses. However,
we savage our lower division nonmajors for the good of our dept grades
overall :^(

That's an interesting point, I have argued unsuccessfully on my campus that
we would actually be increasing the academic standards in our graduate
program, by lowering the GPA requirement to something like 2.8, from a 3.0.

The idea being that prof's might be more willing to hand out C grades in
graduate courses this way; rather than the "legislated grade inflation"
effect that occurs on my campus as well. Unfortunately, my idea always
ends
up being a non-starter as this rule is determined university wide, and we
naturally must maintain the "high" standards of the 3.0 GPA requirement.
(Mostly, I notice the standards going down.)

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu