Re: Concerned about grades

Hi!

My Sr. moment just ended.

I remember Peter Redmond at UCSB telling me that a C was rather stiff
medicine for a grad student (and by extension stiff for Jr's
and Sr's).
The assumption is that the D's and F's have been weeded out
by the Jr. year
and the C's by grad. school.

I think Dick is correct to use the B as the average for
physics, because I
assume the D's and F's have self selected themselves out ot
Physics (Chem
and adv. Bio. too?)

bc

One could point out that at many grad schools in the US, one is required to
have 3.00 GPA for graduation, which makes a C grade somewhat tantamount to
failing grade (at least if you get too many of them.) I've seen a few grad
programs where not only was the 3.00, but the total number of C's allowed
was limited; the one that specifically comes to memory was a program that
allowed no more than three C's in the Ph.D. program.

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu