Re: key concepts in physics ???

It has always been of some concern to me that the public, from Joe
Sixpack to the "well educated person", has a greatly distorted idea of
what science is. I think that no body of internalized factual material
can properly define the well educated person in this area. He must
also know a great deal about the process by means of which those facts
were won from Nature, and he must know the epistemological stature of
the facts. In my teaching I emphasize the "how we know what we know"
aspect of physics and astronomy.

Certainly everyone who is scientifically literate should be able to
answer the nontrivial question "Does the Earth go 'round the Sun or
does the Sun go 'round the Earth?" It is my feeling that the well
educated person should be able to answer the further question "How
do you know that?" with considerably more than the rejoinder "Everyone
knows that!"