Re: Standards for academic physics laboratories

At 10:45 PM 09/25/2000 -0500, you wrote:
I'd appreciate help locating standards applicable to academic physics
laboratory facilities (buildings and facilities, rather than curricula
and programs). I'm particularly interested in standards applicable to
community colleges or undergraduate college programs, though standards
applicable to high school physics laboratories might be interesting.
I've been told that the American Chemical Society publishes standards
for chemistry laboratories, but I'm not aware of any for physics. Any
assistance is appreciated.

Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
St. Charles County Community College
St. Peters, MO

Glenn,

AAPT has 2 documents that may be of interest to you:

The Goal of Introductory Laboratories
The Role of Laboratory Activities in High School Physics

They are available on the AAPT web site (aapt.org) under the Statements &
Policies section of the AAPT Info menu.

Greg
Gregory Puskar gpuskar@wvu.edu
Academic Laboratory Manager (304)293-3422 x 1455
Physics Department (304)293-5732 (fax)
West Virginia University
PO Box 6315
Morgantown, WV 26506