Re: Subject: Re: Recipe For "Funny" Liquid

Is this similar to ferrofluid (produced by FerroFluidics of Nashua)?
This thin black liquid (they we most kind to give me a small bottle)
takes on shapes resembling a B field when a magnet is brought near.

Anyway can I take a stab at what is going on in the cornstarch/oil
mixture (on this list, I expect correction, whoops, make that
enlightenment)? Would it be fair to say that the E field causes
alignment of the oil chains thus making the cornstarch molc. more
resistant to moving past each other? or is it the other way around?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Chuck Britton wrote:

> an electrically charged object near the flowing liquid. A rubber
> balloon will 'solidify' the stuff.

Electrorheological fluid. An e-field makes the suspended particles cling
together. There was an article on it last year when somebody discovered
that chocolate syrup could do this too. I bet the cornstarch/oil works
better though. Less leakage current.

Magnetorheological fluid does the same, but with b-fields and ferrous
particles. Try mixing powdered iron with oil and keep it near a huge
magnet. It should stay fairly hard unless you move it too far from the
magnet. I never tried that, but I did notice that something similar
occurs with a big pile of tiny screws or washers (no oil.) The screws act
like a wad of clay when near a large stack of ceramic loudspeaker magnets,
but if you move too far from the magnet, they pour out of your hands and
scatter across the floor.

From: "Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese" <georgeann@REDSHIFT.COM>
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Recipe For "Funny" Liquid

I pray that you people have metal detectors at all entrances. As the VP @ North Salinas HS whose
main job was dicipline said, 'they may look like adults, but they're not."

bc

Choice is everything - I do not rec. this joke for the sulking and humor
impaired teenager. It never helps. Besides, isn't one of the main perks
of being the physics teacher getting the best kids?

Scott
--
Scott Goelzer