Re: computers do more harm than good

There was a study by Educational Testing Service that found that computers could be used to improve understanding of math, provided the appropriate programs are used. However they also found that excessive use of computer drill and practice programs depressed the student's ability to think.

As I teach computer science in addition to physics, I find that I can use the computer as a good teaching tool. Unfortunately I do not have any good evaluations to prove that I am actually achieving what I think is going on. I am using computer science to teach logic, and problem solving. Essentially they do experiments to discover the logic, and context rich complex problems to learn problem solving. It is easy to use programming to pose problems which require a step by step planned approach, which will help dampen impulsivity, and force students to think about the approach before writing the program. This is analogous to posing problems where they have to think about the concepts before writing equations. This sort of physics teaching is used in Minds-on Physics.

We did a laptop study and most of the literature showed that computers could be used to improve critical thinking, but only if the teaching methods are changed.

John M. Clement