Re: inertial frame: state of the art

At 02:25 PM 9/14/00 -0400, Carl E. Mungan wrote:
I'll settle for an experiment which can tell me to within a
specified accuracy that a frame is inertial. And I'll now allow you
to use the full arsenal of physics, not just N1. What
state-of-the-art experiment can I do

I quote from
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PUBS_LIB/BigG/bigg.html

The test mass falls within a cylindrical aluminum vacuum chamber
customized for this G experiment to allow us to place the source mass
closer to the drop (small diameter). This increases our gravitational
signal. The chamber is made of aluminum (rather than the stainless steel
commonly used in vacuum systems) to reduce thermal gradients. It forms an
unbroken conducting shell around the drop region, thereby shielding it
from electrostatic fields. A co-falling ``elevator'' shields the falling
test mass from residual gas forces.

The description of the apparatus continues in considerable detail, but you
get the idea: They deal with gravity by using a free-falling object. They
screen out known stray forces like electromagnetism and stray gas. In
particular, I like the co-falling "elevator", because it is a pretty direct
implementation of the usual textbook Gedanken experiment.

and what accuracy will it give me?

Schwarz et all report a sensitivity of 1 part in 10^9 of earth's gravity.