Re: Newton's first law

Newtons Laws can be discussed at several levels. It does not
disturb me that many important nuances are not appreciated
in an introductory course. The "relativistic limitation", for
example, does not have to be emphasized; I don't mention it,
unless somebody asks. The mass is 'the amount of matter",
the force is a "push or pull of some kind". We learn that
these quantities can be measured. The F=m*a is an
experimental law based on numerous observations. Then
we use the law in various situations (problems). What is
wrong with this traditional elementary approach?
Ludwik Kowalski