Re: ROTATION

At 09:47 AM 9/7/00 -0400, Robert A Cohen wrote:
students have difficulty seeing the rotation as a rotation about an axis
other than the axis going through the earth's poles

An excellent insight.

At 07:11 AM 9/8/00 -0700, John Mallinckrodt wrote:
1) Unfounded expectation that the center of mass, a pivot point, or
a fixed axis should, somehow, be afforded special consideration

Good point -- a more general formulation of RAC's point.

2) Unfounded expectation of interactions between the translational motion
of an arbitrary point and the angular velocity

Another good point.

To illustrate the distinction, consider the following examples:
-- a vortex in a low-viscosity fluid, which is (to an excellent
approximation) irrotational (outside the core), but which has lots of motion.
-- a nonspinning object in orbit, e.g. the space telescope maintaining a
view of a given distant star. Lots of translational motion, no spin.
-- contrast that with the moon, which orbits once a month and spins once
a month.